Saturday, November 28, 2015

Sainte Catherine's Day

As usual now, I went to school to celebrate my name day. It was Zack's first time making tire, the famous candy Marguerite Bourgeois used to attract students to her school back in the 17th century.  She was particularly trying to attract Native Americans and this year the school board had expressed some concerns regarding this tradition. It doesn't seem to have bothered anyone as most people were dressed up as usual, as priests, nuns, lumberjacks and Native Americans.

The two teachers in charge, who are cousins, had made the tire the day before. The volunteers in the kitchen needed to reheat it in the oven and separate it into individual portions while the other volunteers would help the children pull it and cut it. I was assigned to the kitchen (because I had seen it done before) but I did go say hi to my kids. I almost missed Zack who never acknowledges me when he sees me at school.

Kelden was the first I saw, ready to start.




I didn't realize Zack was there too when I took this picture.




I found Julia in the hall (we had to split the groups, they were too big).




After pulling, they cut their snakes into pieces.







They wrapped them up and put il all in a bag.




This year, they also had a special pioneer lunch with pancakes and maple syrup, vegetables and sausages. (Julia was lucky, they had lots of leftover for her after her piano lesson. She had already eaten a bit, which might explain why she didn't take any vegetables...)





I took of everything, of course !

No comments:

Post a Comment