Wednesday, January 18, 2012

School Registration

I like how they organize the school registration at Don Bosco, the French Catholic school Julia (and soon Kelden) goes to. While you fill out papers with the secretary and review them with the principal, your child goes with the kindergarten's teachers in one of their classrooms (they don't have their regular classes that day). That way, you get to meet most of the team you will be dealing with during the school year. Of course, I already know them through Julia. Actually just last week Mr RenĂ© (the principal) called me two days in a row because Julia complained to him and wanted to go home. She complained the following day as well, but he didn't bother to call this time and just sent her back to class. Yep, last week was the first week after the holidays and it's hard on our little girl. She was especially disappointed because, having been told Kelden would go to school with her "next year" she expected him to come with her last week already. She had been playing school with him during the holidays, preparing backpacks to bring on the bus and singing the alphabet song...Poor girl...We made it extra hard on her and her teacher as she saw us on Monday for the registration.  Her teacher had to carry her to bring her outside for recess.



I thought she would like the piggy-back ride, but she apparently didn't.

Seeing his sister's mixed feelings about school (crying in the morning but proud to show you everything she's done when she comes home) had Kelden exclaim: "No! No!" when we told him we were bringing him on Monday. He was fine though. We had no problem leaving him in the class with the teachers. It helped I guess that he found Mac (from Cars) to play with. And some trains.





When we came back the teachers expressed their concern. "He only speaks English" they said, "except for the colors, although he seems to understand everything." It didn't surprise me. Everything happening outside our home is in English, so he gets into his English mode as soon as he leaves. That's why I really want them to go to a French school, so they realize it's not just me! Anyway, I was actually proud that he remembered a color (we've been practising for months and he still only knows just a few).

I asked them how he was with the other kids. Apparently, interaction didn't interest him at all. He did have a little altercation with a girl at one point they said. A good thing it wasn't with a boy, they were much bigger than him (you can't tell from the picture, but the teacher did say Kelden was short. Maybe those boys were born in January. Keld said he just wasn't as chubby as the the others..I won't tell him, he'd want more Nutella...).

Anyway, Kelden played on that carpet the whole time, he barely looked up for the picture.



Notice his ear thing again.
Julia had me dig out her picture from her registration, she remembered from the frame :)

We had a hard time convincing him to come home with us. A good thing you got a balloon on your way out.




He also got a few more things, including a blue apron.





Had Julia warned them he likes to make chocolate chip cookies????

Next school experience for Kelden is May 15th. He will go to school for a couple of hours everyday for 4 days. I know, it's not much- especially when you think that in France he would have already started school last September...But eh, I need my time with my Kelden at home, right?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! They do a lot at Catholic school. For Linda's registration, she had to stay with me (they didn't meat any teachers, or see any of the school) and no one went over the forms with me. She also didn't get a baloon, a picture, or a gift like Kelden got, lucky boy! Also, they don't get to go to school in May for a week like Kelden will. I can't believe how different it all is!
    And if they think Kelden is short, I guess they would think Linda is REALLY short!
    I hope they both have fun at school next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if we pay more for that school! Anyway, I didn't mention that, but we were in the library to fill out the papers and there was a table where you could sit with a lady that would explain to you all the programs that there are in town to help your kid (literacy programs, playgroups, etc.) I just took the flyers, but, in case you don't know, the Early Year Center has a 4 morning program too, only it looks like it's for a whole month, not just a week. The flyer I have says it's only for kids who don't go to daycare and you have to register before April 20th.

      Delete