Monday, November 25, 2013

Sainte Catherine

Today is my day but the school celebrated last Friday.
Reminder: here, on St Catherine's Day, they perpetuate a tradition introduced by a nun, Marguerite Bourgeois, who used to make a special candy, called tire, to attract Native Americans to school.
So that day, the kids get to dress as pioneers, nuns or Native Americans.
Special had prepared a feather crown for Julia (she added real feathers too!)




I wasn't going to help, with Zack in the way, but I still wanted to go to the school and enjoy the tradition. I went quite early (or so I thought) because Julia had forgotten her glasses, but at 9 o'clock I was still too late as Kelden was already almost done!!




We waited for Julia's turn (she was going at 10) and we helped as we could. (Although we were invited to eat freely, I still thought we had to earn the Tim Horton's breakfast they had for the helpers! ).

Here's Julia showing you the steps to make the tire.

1. Butter your hands (just the palms, please !!)




2. Tire ! Pull !

3. Cut your snake.




4. Wrap it all in a papillote. 


 5. You're supposed to share with your family, at least that's what Kelden's teacher said. But Julia didn't want to share with me. Her teacher told her that maybe she could share with her dad. But, no, she ate it all herself..

We left after Julia's turn. The way back wasn't as bad as the cold wind was gone. But it probably would have been better if I had used the sleigh!



Next time...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love TIRE! I remember making that as a kid in school. Julia, maybe next year you could save a piece for Aunt Ashley? :)

    ReplyDelete