Thursday, November 8, 2012

Kelden's Birthday

Kelden turned 4 on Tuesday. They were all up early (as usual)  to celebrate.





This time we started with the party at the school. I made the same cupcakes that I had made for Julia, except that I needed more this time (there are 2 more friends in his class plus one assistant). With two containers of cupcakes balancing on the stroller, it's a miracle they didn't all get squished.  Anyway, we weren't too late (I walked very slowly trying to be careful).
They sang first (and you might notice how the smart teacher has them practice some maths skills).





Then Kelden and the assistant distributed the cupcakes.




Kelden was very proud to be the star of the day. His teacher had given him a party hat for the occasion.





The whole class was excited actually. I guess they like chocolate too!





After school, the party at home. Kelden had asked for a very sophisticated meal (Kraft Dinner). And Grandpa Bruce couldn't come fast enough for him to open the presents.






He got lots of things, toys and clothes, and played with everything right away.






Well, we did have cake in between. Look how his new shirt from James and Ashley match the big cookie.








At 4 years old, Kelden is approximately 40 pounds for 41.33 inches (if my conversion is right) which puts him on the 75th percentile line.





Yesterday evening was the parent teacher interview but I actually saw his teacher in the afternoon. They had called to tell me that Kelden had fallen and that the bump on his forehead was pretty bad and they asked if I wanted to come and see. I told them that I was on my way to their book sale and would take him home if needed. When I came, the teacher was on her preparation time and asked if I could see her then instead of later. I agreed, hoping Zack would stay quiet (which he did for a grand total of 2 minutes).  She said Kelden was a great boy, very nice to others, making friends, etc. She told me the results of the early screening. They screen a few areas, I'm not sure of the translation but those areas are: attention skills and memory, verbal fluidity, interest and participation, capacity to recognize letters, calligraphy and maths (they actually split maths into 8 categories). Kelden scored very poorly on the last 3 areas. She said it wasn't surprising that he couldn't recognize the letters because the test shows capital letters and they are studying lower-case letters in class. So hopefully, as they study in class he will get better. For calligraphy, she said that she still can't tell if Kelden is right or left-handed. Me neither. We both agree that he seems to write better with his left hand but he switches constantly and uses scissors with his right hand, eats with both, etc. So instead of getting a stronger grip with one hand, he still is unsure with both. As for maths, I have no excuse, except maybe that he didn't inherit his dad's skills, just his looks :)  Once we were done, I asked Kelden if he wanted to come with me and buy some books before going home but he pointed at his teacher, saying he'd rather stay with her!






I'm glad he likes going to school now and I am confident he will get better in all those areas. I have already seen a tremendous progress this past year, so I'm not worried...yet...just paranoid now that he might need glasses too :)






No comments:

Post a Comment