Thursday, November 1, 2012

Choosing Glasses for Julia

I knew from my parents' experience that you need to bring your kids to the eye doctor very early. My parents never realized that my sister's eye was almost completely blind until they were told she failed the eye doctor's test at school. And by failing, I mean she literally walked into the wall when they asked her to hide her one good eye. They said they might have been able to save more of her eye if they had caught it earlier. I remember she had to wear a patch.

1

 2


Since neither Keld nor I had to wear glasses (at least not to correct our visions), I wasn't too worried but we still brought all the kids (yes, Zack too) last year. Of course, it was a bit late for Julia but she had never complained and she wasn't cross-eyed. So, when the eye doctor said they were all good, I believed her. And when Julia started complaining about her eyes, I assumed she was just jealous of her cousin Linda's glasses. She started complaining more when school started, but that also coincided with Linda getting new glasses.

3

4

5

6


However, when last Monday at breakfast I saw her right eye going to kiss her left eye without being kissed back, I knew something was wrong. I also knew our year wasn't up (you're reimbursed one eye doctor appointment a year for kids) but I didn't care and called right away (well, I waited for the opening hours). They told me she could come for a quick and free check-up if her eyes were bothering her. We had our appointment for this Monday and the doctor said that indeed, she probably would need glasses. She thought she was a 2 and a 4 but said that to confirm the prescription Julia needed to get some drops in her eyes and use the machine again. The doctor couldn't do it that day so we went back today. It's worse than we thought; both eyes need a 7. She has hyperopia (meaning she's far-sighted, closer is harder for her). The doctor said that we should have been able to see it last year but because she still has some natural vision, she was making her eyes work super hard to see and therefore could answer the questions.

7

8

9

10

11


As we waited for the eye-drops to work, we looked at the choices for glasses. I thought I would take pictures so Keld could see and know which one to buy when he comes (I thought I wouldn't come back with the kids again). But that idea didn't work too well, as you can see. I'm terrible at taking pictures (which you know) and my excuse -that I had to hold Zack at the same time- is only valid for a couple of them (and you wouldn't be able to tell which ones!).


12

14

15


Julia tried lots and lots of glasses, but after 5 minutes, the drops were working and she couldn't see well enough to be able to tell us if she liked them or not. What she did say though was that there were not enough pink choices. So the lady said she would look up online for more pink glasses and order them for her. She will call us next week so we can come and try again and again and again...
Of course, I prefer the thin metal glasses and she likes the big plastic ones. I numbered the pictures in case you want to tell me what you think fits her best!


4 comments:

  1. Linda is super excited that Julia is getting glasses :) I like the ones that are more of a plastic frame on her as opposed to the metal ones, they are younger looking. I will be curious to see if they have any pink ones, and if any of them will be more oval as opposed to square.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like number 2 and number 8 the best i think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like 1, 7, and 8. I feel like they all look pretty big on little Julia though. Maybe just because I'm not use to seeing her with glasses on. I agree with Ash that it might be nice to try some different shapes. I remember when I was young I thought glasses were really cool and wanted a pair! They can make you look so smart :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of the glasses she tried my choice in order would be 5, then 2 then 15- although I think she needs to try on a few more. Good luck, it is always a tough job as those you like on the wall don't always look so good on your face.

    ReplyDelete