Sunday, August 4, 2013

Swimming

I pretended to still be in France by posting lots of pictures of our trip last month. Now that I'm done, I should be posting pictures of what we actually did in July. But the truth is, we didn't do much in July. We had the Hayes Family Reunion, that I have already documented, but other than that we were too sick for anything.

Except swimming.

Both Julia and Kelden had two swimming sessions scheduled last month. And we practised at Grandpa Bruce and Special's pool (sometimes twice a day, during Zack's nap when we were at the house watching the dogs and then later in the evening). We went in the pool even when it was cold or rainy or rainy and cold.

It was Kelden's first swimming lessons and though he failed his level even after the two sessions, he still progressed.  And, unlike Julia at his age, he did not quit. He tried his best and I am very proud of what he can do now.










We chose to put them in private lessons because we knew Julia had a hard time last time with the other kids. She really needs the attention and the patience of a good teacher. We were lucky we had a great instructor who didn't give up on her. I was ready to.  I almost cancelled her second session. She would get sick at home, crying because she didn't want to go and once with the instructor she would stand in the water, arms crossed, refusing to do anything for the first half of the lesson. It was very frustrating. The worst part was that she would do everything the instructor had asked her to do in the morning but only later during the day, in Grandpa Bruce and Special's pool.




So, obviously, she failed the first session but because she knew she could do it she told me she still wanted to try again. I hesitated but since she was willing, and already signed up, I brought her for the second session. I thought I had made a mistake when at the last but one lesson she suddenly decided to show her instructor all she could do. You should have seen the amazement on the instructor's face (and mine)! It was like she was with another kid. Anyway, I still didn't think it would be enough to pass the level, and really didn't care at that point. I was so proud that she would finally try in front of the instructor, I thought that was improvement enough. She could work on the skills later. But, to our surprise, she passed ! She was so excited! I was happy for her because it really helped her see that your efforts are worth it and will be rewarded.






Now, both the public swimming pool and Grandpa Bruce and Special's pool are going to be closed. We're going to have to find something else to do this month...

No comments:

Post a Comment