Friday, January 17, 2014

The Wise Men's Cake

As you know now, since you remember everything I post, in France we celebrate the coming of the Wise Men. They came a little bit after the birth of Christ and the "Epiphany" is January 6th. There is no day off for that little celebration and most people celebrate on the first Sunday of the month. Family and friends gather for a special kings'cake in which something is hidden. The person who gets the hidden object (which usually represents someone in the nativity scene) is crowned King or Queen (when you buy the cake, a crown is actually provided) and is supposed to bring the next kings'cake (and you eat cake all month).
 
On Sunday the 5th, we made a kings'brownie but I decided to wait until we had the elders over to share the tradition and make the actual kings'cake, since only Keld likes it (it's with almonds). I prefer the other type of kings'cake, the Southern France type,  the brioche (although instead of the traditional candied fruits, I put chocolate chips inside, of course!). We made a few of those this month and I made one as a back-up plan too, in case my "real" kings'cake didn't work out.




Because, once again, you will remember, I completely failed last time I tried a kings'cake. This time my sister Géraldine didn't just send me a recipe, she sent me a link to a video where Hervécuisine shows you how to make a kings'cake. This was a great idea, I was just worried that I would now have no excuse whatsoever if I failed..except the conversion from grams to cups or ounces I guess. But, fortunately, I think it worked out okay.




You will notice however that the cake isn't round (as it should be) It's just that the dough came in that shape and I was worried it would be too small if I cut it (Hervécuisine has a much bigger dough).
Julia went under the table, as the tradition requires, and told Keld who should get each piece. Elder Skirvin got the fève and was crowned king.




But I think Elder Teutau liked the cake more :)




As you can see, Kelden got hold of the camera...







 So we were late, but we had fun anyway !

No comments:

Post a Comment