Thursday, July 14, 2011

Happy Bastille Day !!

I've heard people here call France's National Day the Bastille Day but I had never heard it in France. Of course, July 14th 1789, the date we celebrate, is the day this famous prison (La Bastille) 's doors were opened (symbol of freedom from the King) so it makes sense.
To celebrate this year, we had the family + Becca + the missionaries over for crêpes. I have also bought Orangina and am waiting for croissants :)
Since Julia doesn't know our national anthem (I need to make her watch more soccer), I thought that for this post I would put pictures of our family proudly wearing France's colors. Those colors represent the three orders of society: blue (military), white (monarchy-French monarchy as opposed to other nations) and red (religion).
Anyway, taking family pictures is not easy. Kelden likes it when we use the timer but Julia is not patient and Zack, who usually smiles a lot, was not smiling for the camera...







Long live France and Long live the Republic !! (don't tell the Queen I said that)

1 comment:

  1. I knew that the French military wore blue and that the white was for the French royals, but I never knew that red was for religion. Cool! Vive la France! (And Happy Bastille Day.)

    ReplyDelete