Friday, May 18, 2012

1 week down, 5 more to go

As might have been expected, Kelden didn't want to go to "class" yesterday (I guess you only go to "school" if you take the bus). Once again, the teacher told me to just leave him there crying. I met a lady in the hall who was going back to the classroom saying "that sounds like my kid." I told her not to worry, it's mine. She seemed relieved but then I could tell she was wondering why I wasn't worried. Well, I knew he would be fine; there was a bus ride on the schedule.




The teacher told me it took him 45 minutes to settle down and decide to participate like the others. It wasn't raining (for once this week) so they went outside and again, Kelden seemed to not be as good as the others. Mme Michèle told me I should bring him on playgrounds. "We go practically every day" was my reply. She said she was wondering about his motor skills and that he should especially practice jumping. Julia has a hard time with jumping (especially on one foot) so I'm wondering if Kelden does too or if he's just being lazy. I have brought him to the school playground before and it's true that he can't do everything on his own, so with lots of other kids around, he might be too intimidated to even try what he can do (I'm counting on his Utah cousins to show him how not to be scared this summer).





As I had thought, Kelden enjoyed his bus ride even if it was more "boom boom!" than he had imagined it would be. They also did the numbers that day (they had practiced the shapes the day before and colors were the first day). The teacher didn't say that he was the only one not being able to recognize the numbers, so maybe he's not too far  behind there :)


 



You can tell what his favorite color is.

Today, Keld decided to bring him because it was raining. Since "class" only starts at 9 but work at 8.30, he first brought him to work with him. Kelden obviously prefers work to school. He was ready to go back in the afternoon.









School, however, wasn't so bad today. He settled down faster and when I came in he wasn't ready to go! It was his turn to paint. He had to tell what body part he wanted to paint, but he kept saying the color he wanted to paint with. He finally said "ventre"  and Mme Michèle asked me if he was left or right-handed. I told her to put the paintbrush in his left hand as I think he uses that hand better when he writes.  







He did a bit better today then, but he still has to be forced to speak French and Mme Michèle told me that  as soon as there is something that presents a little bit of a challenge, he's calling for Maman. I really am too nice and need to help him be more independent. But despite all his difficulties, he still graduated. Yep, he even received a degree!







And a T-shirt!





Congratulations!! We are very proud of him! I know it wasn't easy for him but he did it!!

I think this week was a first good step for Kelden, and for myself, as we get ready for school. I know he is "behind" compared to kids who have been going to daycare their whole lives, but I expected that and don't mind it at all. The program for the next 5 weeks only takes children who don't go to daycare, so it should be easier for him and hopefully it will be another good step toward September!

2 comments:

  1. It kind of makes me sad to read about what a hard time that little guy is having! I can't believe they have them start school so young there in Canada. It's also kind of sad that all those kids have just been in daycare and are totally used to being left all day. It makes me want to hug my kids a little bit tighter. Kelden will probably get used to it really fast, and end up loving it.

    It is actually more rare here for kids to be in daycare than it is for them to be home with their moms. I am grateful for that. Also a half day of preschool a couple times a week, like Caitie will be doing, seems like a much easier transition, although your kids will probably learn to read, count, and do math much sooner than my kids will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Alli, it was sad to see some kids (at least 6 out of 17)coming from another classroom (they have daycare at the school) where they had been dropped off half an hour before and then going back to that classroom until like 5. And obviously others went to a different daycare, so I would say the majority definitely don't stay at home. I'd rather see Kelden take a few months adjusting than having him be a pro because he was away from me all day for years already! In France, they start even a year before. But you can put them for just half a day and it makes the transition to full day easier. But I'm sure Kelden will get it. He's just a home-buddy like his parents, and Julia, and that makes it harder :)

      Delete