Thursday, February 23, 2012

De Julia

It was the parent-teacher interview last week so I talked to Mme Michèle. She said Julia is doing great. She is quite good at reading and does all right with mathematics too, although Mme Michèle says she has to explain the concepts twice before she really understands them. She gets that from me obviously (why couldn't she take after her Dad on that one?).  I'm glad Julia can learn well and has no specific difficulty.




I asked her again why Julia says she has no friends. This is her answer. "Most kids in this class are competitive and put others down to look better. Some are looking for the attention and affection they don't have at home, but some are actually encouraged by their parents who think their kid is so 'old of character', that it is normal for them to rule the class. Julia receives what she needs at home, both affection and rules. She is polite with everyone. She is not shy and will go play with most of her classmates but because she disagrees with their attitude she doesn't consider them friends." Well, I can relate to that, not wanting to associate with some people because they think they're so smart...




I also went to talk to the physical education teacher because Julia keeps saying that she has trouble doing what he asks. He said she's just fine. She recently went to a birthday party at the gym and she did try almost everything but you could tell she wasn't near as confident as the others. (They probably all do gymnastics every week). It was hard work! Look at that tongue sticking out!



She refused to wear the pants they had for the kids whose mothers don't think. 


Julia was the only one who didn't do the higher beams, she stayed behind and kept doing the lower ones, they were hard enough. 






All this reminding me of how much I hated physical education from grade 6 to 9 because we had to do all these things and, of course, I wasn't good at all.
Here are some videos of that day.







And now I thought I would share a little conversation I had with Julia one Sunday morning.

Julia: Mom, I did just like you last week during bread and water!
Me, wondering if I was telling Kelden to be quiet or trying to get Zack to stop moving, : And what's that?
Julia :  I closed my eyes and saw Jesus.
Me, pretty proud but wanting to clarify things, : Well, I don't really see Jesus, you know. I do think about him and about the things I do during the week, the good ones I should do again and the bad ones that I shouldn't do and have to change.
Julia : like slapping?!
Me, very surprised- I must have slapped her twice her entire life! : Did I slap you this week?
Julia, disappointed but honest : Hmmm, no.

Kelden comes in, playing with some toys that Julia grabs from him without asking. He asks her to give them back, she doesn't.  

Me : Julia, can you give him back his toys, please?
No answer.
Me : Julia, give him back the toys please.
Julia doesn't comply.
Me, raising my voice a bit : Julia !
Julia still doesn't comply.
Me, raising my voice again : Please, Julia !
Julia, triumphant : Ha, you shouldn't scream !!!!!
Me, a little upset : How am I supposed to teach Julia to be nice if I can slap nor scream?
Julia, without hesitating : By giving hugs.

Next time I'll just ask her what Jesus looks like.





Don't be fooled now if you see me hug my kids. I'm not loving them, I'm disciplining them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment