Friday, February 4, 2011

Groundhog Day or Candlemas?

February 2nd was not only Jordie's birthday, it was also Groundhog Day and Candlemas. I had never heard of Groundhog Day before coming to Canada, but Candlemas is a lot more familiar to me. It's a nice tradition (and yes, by nice I mean it involves food) that people celebrate for religious reasons, or, if they're like me, just for fun. In France, most people celebrate it by making crêpes. There are a series of steps to take to ensure prosperity for your family during the year (like putting the first crêpe on top of a cupboard and leave it all year round, flipping the crêpes with gold in your hands, etc.) I don't do any of that, I just enjoy eating crêpes with my little helpers.

Kelden got to use the mixer to make the dough (he was a bit disappointed that there were no chocolate chips around, but compensated by the Nutella he put on his crêpes later)





Julia wanted to help, but it was a bit hard for 3 people to use the mixer at the same time, so she got to do the dishes:


And no, she's not my slave, she is enjoying herself.  When everything was ready, I flipped the crêpes (or tried to):



I did find a weather connection between Groundhog day and Candlemas. A crêpe is a nice yellow circle:



It symbolizes the return of the sun, which will be sooner or later, depending on what the groundhog has to say...

1 comment: