Thursday, February 17, 2011

Julia's First Report Card

We got Julia's first report card on Wednesday. I was quite impressed by all the details and comments for someone in junior kindergarten. They evaluated her according to 8 subjects (religion, personal and social development, French, mathematics, science and technology, social studies, physical education and health, arts) each divided into subcategories graded 1 to 3. Basically, 1 means she can't do it, 2 that she is learning how to do it and 3 that she can do it.


On the left it explains what they expect and on the right are the comments about Julia. Over two pages long!
She has only 3s in religion, French, maths and social studies (although in social studies they recommend she learned her phone number. She doesn't know her address either by the way. If you ask her where she lives, she proudly answers: Canada!)
She has only 2s in arts. If it has anything to do with heredity, poor girl...She is doing good but needs to practice her writing skills and using scissors and all that..same for technology. Otherwise, her other 2 is in sports (probably hereditary here again :) and in autonomy. She's a lot more independent than at the beginning of the year, so it's coming.
The general comments were that she needs more self-confidence, which is true, and that "her eyes sparkle with enthusiasm" which is also very true!



Tonight was the parent-teacher interview. Her teacher confirmed the progress made. Julia can do a lot more on her own. She better recognizes and writes the letters and numbers they've learnt so far. She told me she was happy to see that Julia now takes a stand instead of following all the time. Apparently some of the older kids are a bit difficult but Julia will now tell them "no" if she doesn't want to participate in their questionable activities.
The teacher also told me that you can tell it's an effort for Julia to go to school and that she is constantly thinking of her mommy. "After school, I'm going to color with my mommy" "After school, I'm going to play hide-and-seek with my mommy" etc. I guess Julia might not have my looks, but she might have some of my personality traits!


Sorry, not the best picture of the two of us, but one of the most recent...
I also went to see her sports teacher who told me that she was doing better but that running was still not her thing. I told him that Julia has been complaining about the fact that she can't hop on one foot. He said not to worry yet, she should be able to do it soon. I guess Julia gets frustrated when she can't do like the others.
I went to see the science and technology teacher as well. I was curious to know what they were learning. They play educational games on the computer and learn to use the mouse. They're not learning to type yet but she says some of the kids in the class already know how to use the keyboard. Times change, I didn't know what a computer was when I was in kindergarten!


Anyway, all this to say that we are very proud of our Julia! Keep it up, girl!
  

1 comment:

  1. Ditto! I am surely proud of her too! I still find it hard to think of her so young and having to go to school everyday, all day! What a sweetheart she is!

    ReplyDelete